Sunday, December 6, 2009

Can anyone who knows about the acting industry give me some advice please?

Ok well basically around about october i got spotted by this agent, she offered to represent me, i checked her out she seemed professional and all that jazz. We've been trying to get me onto spotlight, all the forms i've filled in have suddenly disappeared and i've had to start from scratch and am now on the main application form. Problem is i am worried i don't have enough experience to get on and have had no drama training apart from a GNVQ in performing arts and am currently studying for an A-level in drama and theatre studies. I was planning on going to australia for a year out around september but i really want a shot at trying out for acting, but then i also want to go to university and my want for acting would require me to stay in london and try my luck. I basically don't know whether to tell my agent that its not worth going on spotlight because there isn't enough time or to just drop everything, can someone please help?, i feel so lost.



Can anyone who knows about the acting industry give me some advice please?performing art center



To be honest, it doesn't sound like you want it bad enough. If you did, you would go for it and if you got the show before heading out to Australia, that would determine your path at least for the immediate future. Also, Spotlight isn't the end all be all of an acting career, not even close. Why isn't this agent trying to get you auditions through the normal paths? For TV shows? Films?



If you go to Australia, they have agents there too. Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts, Russell Crowe... all actors from Australia. A year is a long time, you could get an agent and tell them how long you'll be there and audition for jobs while you're there providing you make sure you have any needed paperwork. Where there's a will, there's always a way. Where there's an excuse, there's your fallback choice. It's up to you!



Can anyone who knows about the acting industry give me some advice please?theatre tickets opera theater



I was in your position. I now live in London and I am doing a degree at Kings College in Classics- but I haven't given up on acting! I am planning on doing a text and performance masters degree with Kings and RADA when I am finished, and I am doing a lot of extra work on the side to give me experience and fund my degree!



If you are lucky enough to have been taken on by a professional agent I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes it isn't about experience and if this agent of yours thinks you have what it takes then there is no reason you can't succeed- agents are industry professionals and wouldn't take you on unless they thought they could make some money out of you! If this agent really wants you on their books then you going to Australia for a year won't matter too much to them. Ask about if they could possibly get you work whilst your on the gap year, or if they can hook you up with any aussie agents (if you'll pay a fee!)



You won't get on Spotlight full stop unless you have had professional work (that you got paid for) in the acting industry or a degree/diploma from an accredited university or college (specified on Spotlight's website).



What is stopping you having a gap year in Australia? This is a normal thing for pre-university students to do! Your acting career won't fall to pieces if you start it properly next year. Plus, I know London is the centre of the acting world in the UK but Australia and America have industries to match. Also, there are key places throughout the UK that offer renowned acting courses- such as Bristol and Stratford.



Acting is a nortoriously hard business to succeed in, as I am sure you know! It's a lot to do with luck, yes, but getting an education is more important- for success in the acting world and also as something you can fall back on if things don't work out.



Please don't think that coming to London will automatically give you all the big breaks you need- it won't. Lots of people come to London every day in hopes that they will make it and a lot of the time they don't.



But please don't give up on your dream just because you want to do other things right now. It's ok to do that. Have some fun, get some life experience. Don't worry and be patient- it may take until your forty before you star in a hollywood blockbuster or grace the west end stage!



Good luck with the future and I wish you all the best.



LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
computer security