Thursday, December 10, 2009

Are Jews allowed to listen to Wagner?

I say this half jokingly because I just moved into a dormitory in college, and my RA is Jewish.



I am a huge opera fan %26amp; I was playing some Richard Wagner (not loud or anything) %26amp; she came by my room %26amp; said this:



"Why are you playing that? You of all people should know better because of what our people went through."



a) I'm not Jewish at all (though I have nothing against them). I'm a mutt with grandparents from Norway, Greece and Wales.



b) Even if I was, what does it matter? Richard Wagner died before Hitler was even born (I'm pretty sure about that).



By the way, I didn't answer her. But I find it a little obnoxious to assume I am Jewish just because of my name or my "look" (the only 2 things she could have gone by).



Do you think she "assumed" because of my name (I guess my last name could be Jewish or not)? Does anyone Jewish out there go by someone's name like that? I think that's a little presumptuous because some people may have step parents, or be adopted.



Are Jews allowed to listen to Wagner?oper



Turns out that Adolf Hitler's favorite music, was Wagner's, so, some people feel offended by it.



I think that the holocaust was the saddest chapter in human history, but that has nothing to do with Wagner, Tanhauser's overture is my favorite.



Try to make your roomates remember that Hugo Boss used salve labor to manufacture SS uniforms in Plaszsow; Mercedes Benz might have used it to, Ferragamo was Hitler's personal friend, and he did all of his and Eva Braun's shoes; Krupp steel used slave labor to, and the list goes on, the point is that many people in college will certainly purchase or use some of this companies products, and they do not make such a fuss, do they?



Are Jews allowed to listen to Wagner?hollywood theater opera theater



ok i will just take the point on this onee
You should have watched the episode of "Curb Your Enthusiam" last night. They had a funny skit about this. To answer your question.........I don't know.
i love curb your enthusiasm
tell her to get over herself.u can listen to wotever u like
to funny she really said that to hate a composer because Hitler used him wow I just don't know what to say about and just remember what ***-u-me spells out
Are you serious? She wasn't joking?



Woody Allen has a line about every time he listens to Wagner, he is overcome with the compulsion to invade Poland.



But seriously, it's completely ridiculous for a Jewish person to object to Wagner. He's one of the great composers. Why don't you tell your R.A. that Walt Disney was a Nazi sympathizer (true), so she better not watch any more Disney movies ever again!



I remember as a child, my friend's mother refused to hire a young German woman to be her housekeeper. She was Jewish. She said it was because of what the Germans did to our people. I was only about 9 years old, but I remember thinking, "Huh??? That girl wasn't even born then. And besides, you drive a MERCEDES, woman!"



In regard to getting mistaken for Jewish... that happens to my boyrfriend all the time. He's not Jewish at all, but he looks it. One time, he was in an elevator w/ an orthodox Jew and the guy started talking to him in Hebrew! It happens.
Adolph Hitler, for all his faults, did love Wagner. He felt that Wagner's music accurately portrayed the spirit of racial purity that he believed in. So maybe that's why your neighbor objected. It does seem like a radical over-reaction, though probably sincere. Not everything has to be tied to ideology, right? If Fidel Castro loves zinfindel, does that mean I have to change my tastes in wine? The tough me says, "For God's sake, get a life!" The sensitive me says, "I know where you're coming from. I do love Wagner, though, so out of consideration, I'll listen to his music using headphones."
If we stop enjoying music because of guilt by association, then we allow anti-semites to dictate our tastes. She wants to do that, then let me know and as an Orthodox Jew, I'll give her a list of things she can't buy, watch or eat because of negative associations.



I'm not a huge Wagner fan. I have heard stories about his wearing gloves when he conducted orchestras playing music by Jews. Who cares -- when Ride of the Valkyries comes on, I listen.



And as for being mistaken for a Jew, you might want to tell her that Jewish people have been fighting against physical stereotyping for so long and she is buying in to it. Also, names are patrillineal but Judaism is matrilineal...if she relies on names, she's a fool.
I don't know what Wagner is. But I'm assuming it's opera. Assuming it is, and isn't religious music, or involve rude lyrics, it's OK.
some jews find wagner to be offensive because of the negative associations with hitler. however, I think most jews aren't against it (though perhaps wagner won't be their first choice). I'm not sure why your roommate go so upset.



If your name is "goldstein" and you look jewish, it seems like a reasonable guess, but I wouldn't assume that you are. (are you sure she thought you were jewish?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
computer security